In this podcast, I interview Michael Jones of Inspiring Philosophy. Skeptics say that the ancient Israelites weren’t religiously different than their near Eastern neighbors. Yahweh was just their tribalistic god among the pantheon. It was only until the time of the Babylonian captivity did the Jews become monotheistic.
But is there any evidence for these claims? Jones takes on these arguments and makes the case for ancient Biblical monotheism.
- Michael’s YouTube channel and Patreon
- Unseen Realm by Michael Heiser
- God in Translation by Michael Smith
- Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament by John Walton
- Spiritual Beings Playlist by The Bible Project is a good video intro that incorporates some of Heiser’s view.
Quick disclosure: I just now figured out affiliate links, so the book purchases made from the links in the notes do help me (a little).
Erik is a Reasonable Faith Chapter Director located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He’s a former freelance baseball writer and the co-owner of a vintage and handmade decor business with his wife, Dawn. He is passionate about the intersection of apologetics and evangelism.