Noted agnostic and Biblical scholar says that the free-will defense doesn’t get God off the hook for allowing evil, mainly because Christians are committed to the doctrine of heaven. If God can have a perfect world where people don’t abuse their free will, why not just create us in that world? This is a common objection that Ehrman says the Bible doesn’t adequately answer. Here I hope to show that the Bible actually does have a lot to say in answering this tough objection.
- Unbelievable? 10 Jan 2009 The problem of suffering – Ehrman & Swinburne
- Blog post by myself on the topic
- Blog post by Dr. Clay Jones – Ehrman’s Problem 4: Why Won’t We Abuse Free Will in Heaven?
- Book recommendation —Why Does God Allow Evil?: Compelling Answers for Life’s Toughest Questions by Clay Jones
- Video: The Free Will Defense – Center for Philosophy of Religion (A good short and entertaining explanation of the free will defense. Gotta love that cartoon version of Alvin Plantinga!)
- Can People in Heaven Sin? Q&A Question of the Week by Dr. William Lane Craig
Erik is a Reasonable Faith Chapter Director located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He’s a former freelance baseball writer and the co-owner of a vintage and handmade decor business with his wife, Dawn. He is passionate about the intersection of apologetics and evangelism.