When Christians are asked where Jesus is mentioned outside of the New Testament, many of them will reply that Josephus mentions Jesus twice. But some ‘Jesus-Mythicists’ will claim that isn’t true. Here I interact with some of the mythicists, notably the popular YouTuber Godless Engineer and investigate if they’re really looking at the Josephus text fairly.
Links and other References:
- Video: Why Josephus Doesn’t Prove the Historicity Of Jesus || Did Jesus Exist – Godless Engineer (Warning – there’s a bit of profanity in the video)
- Book: Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth – Dr. Bart Ehrman, an agnostic Biblical scholar
- Book: The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition by Paul Eddy and Greg Boyd
- Blog post: Corroborating Historical Evidence of the New Testament by Dr. Greg Boyd
- Blog post: Did Christian Scribes Completely Fake the Josephus Testimonium? by yours truly
- Blog post: 9 Historical Facts About James the Brother of Jesus That Provide a Strong Basis for the Truth of Christianity (Me again)
Erik is a Reasonable Faith Chapter Director located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He’s a former freelance baseball writer and the co-owner of a vintage and handmade decor business with his wife, Dawn. He is passionate about the intersection of apologetics and evangelism.